The G20 Youth Summit | Brasil brings together Brazilian students and young professionals to debate and propose solutions to the G20 Agenda. Delegates assume roles (e.g., head of states, minister of finance, etc.) representing different countries employing the informal, consensus-based methods of negotiation adopted by the real G8 and G20.
Following the days of negotiation, the participants are ranked by an Academic Board based on a great array of competencies. The brightest youngsters are offered a place to represent Brazil in the international event ‘G8 & G20 Youth Summits’ that take place in parallel with the official G20 every year.
What is the Programme?
The G20YS | Brasil is a form of integration of the civil society in the discussion of global issues. Beyond simply playing roles, the ultimate objective of the event is devising a Final Communiqué – presenting their conclusions on the issues at stake. The document is delivered to the Brazilian government and its representatives as a consultative document containing the participant’s recommendation on G20 contemporary issues.
The Summit also counts with strong side event activities, giving the chance to the participants to take part in lectures and round table discussions with governmental officials, professors and businessman. As part of the programme, the youngsters visit several consulates in São Paulo discussing hands-on with diplomatic officials the topics of Summit.
The Summit has a strong educational nature and some of the benefits that participants have the chance to acquire are:
- Participants attain specific knowledge about contemporary global discussions, the functioning of the G20 and international negotiation techniques. These experiences complement their academic education as well as honing their interpersonal skills.
- Five international mediators are responsible for guiding the flow of discussions in the committees; bringing they expertise and international experience to the discussions while ensuring excellent academic content;
- All negotiations and lectures take place in English – the event itself is a great opportunity to enhance the usage of the English language as a professional and academic tool;
- Through various lectures and panel discussions offered as part of the program, participants have the chance to get in touch with executives and government officials acquiring invaluable ‘insight’ on their areas of interest.
- The brightest participants have the opportunity to represent Brazil at the G20YS International edition, engaging and debating with the youth of other 19 countries in a highly challenging environment.
- 20 to 30 year-old undergraduates, graduates or young professionals
- Educational background in the following or similar: international relations, economy, international business and management, law, finance, engineering and military school
Official language: English
To learn more and apply to the G20Ys | Brasil please access www.g20youthsummit.com.br
The Franco-Brazilian Negotiations Fellowship is a two-stage negotiations simulation – in São Paulo and Paris - based on real business and diplomatic cases.
The G20 Youth Summit – Brasil brings together Brazilian students and young professionals to debate and propose solutions to the G20 Agenda.